The Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, are dedicated to the mission of being God’s Providence in the world by committing themselves to works of love, mercy and justice in service among God's people.
Founded in 1840 by Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, the eighth United States saint, the Sisters of Providence have ministered in our parish since 1952. About one hundred Sisters have served as teachers, principals, and volunteers, filling the convent and offering years of dedicated ministry.
One of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin’s sayings was “Love the children first, then teach them.” The Sisters have done that and more. In addition to serving at our parish, the Sisters of Providence have educated local students at Guerin High School in River Grove and in communities across the globe. Our convent is currently home to three members of the Sisters of Providence.